We must always maintain a balanced diet to maintain our health in good general and in the case of oral health no exceptions. However we look at situations that require a specific diet as in the case of persons carrying on his teeth, with sensitive gums, or in cases of maxillofacial surgery.
People with orthodontia
The gums have a key role, contributing to set the teeth to the bone. One of the main problems that may occur are infections caused by bacteria in the mouth and plaque build up. The sum of factors may end up causing inflammation of the gums, with greater risk of injury and bleeding.
For carriers of orthodontics, there are a number of forbidden foods, such as those that require effort in chewing.
- Food drives that can erode the weak gums: crust of bread, dried fruit, etc. The bread we replace it with softer options such as pan and grind nuts and add to dishes.
- The drinks and acidic foods can be painful if the gums are wounded. At the most complicated, avoid vinegar or fruit juice and acidic.
- Like acid, hot food can also damage the lining of the mouth. In weak situations must be taken into account.
- At times it may become necessary on a liquid diet, facilitating the intake with a cane.
Before the intervention of the maxilla, the most common is that the patient feels pain and discomfort that make it difficult to feed the same way as before the operation. However, this is a temporary situation until the scar will be closing.
We begin with a liquid diet. To take foods can help with a straw and thus avoid further food contact with wounds and scars. Food and drinks will be:
- Water (sparkling) and infusions. Fruit-juice
- Milk, yogurt drink and fermented milk drinks, soy drink
- Vegetable broths, meat or fish
- Liquid preparations containing the necessary nutrients
We must also take into account general recommendations such as:
- Divide the day’s intake by at least five meals.
- Food should not be too hot.
- If there are complaints such as dry mouth, gels can be used to improve it.
- Hygiene is always important and in this situation, we must avoid any type of infection and the scar heal as quickly as possible, so after each meal will require good oral hygiene, we will achieve with brushing teeth, if no contraindications for doing it and rinses.
- Little by little we will be introducing regular food varied and balanced diet, so that power is going to normal.